Ready to sprinkle a touch of handmade magic this holiday season? Join us in creating the most enchanting DIY Macrame Angel Ornament!
As special as Angels are every Christmas season, this project is also unique with its personalized touch and charm, making your holiday more memorable.
Let's weave joy together! Dive into our step-by-step tutorial and craft an angel that'll bring warmth to your heart and sparkle to your tree. No fancy tools, just your hands and a sprinkle of imagination.
What is Macrame?
Macrame is a popular and beautiful form of craft that involves knotting various cords together to create decorative and functional items. It's been around for centuries and has roots in various cultures, including Arabic, Chinese, and Indigenous American traditions.
The basic idea of macrame is to use different types of knots to create patterns and designs. The knots are formed by crossing, looping, and tying cords in specific ways. You don't need any special tools or equipment—just some cords (usually made of cotton, jute, or other natural materials) and your hands!
There are several common knots used in macrame, including the Square Knot, the Double Half Hitch, and the Lark’s Head knot. Combining these knots and varying their placement and direction allows you to create intricate and unique macrame designs.
Some popular items made with macrame include wall hangings, plant hangers, keychains, bracelets, and even clothing. You can experiment with different colors, textures, and cord thicknesses to add your personal touch to the creations.
Macrame is a fantastic way to unwind and be creative. It allows you to make personalized gifts for friends and family or decorate your living space with beautiful handmade pieces.
With practice and a bit of patience, you can easily learn the basic knots and start making your macrame projects. There are plenty of tutorials and resources available online to help you get started and inspire your creativity!
So, in a nutshell, macrame is a fun and relaxing craft that involves tying knots with cords to create lovely and artistic items. It's a great way to express yourself and add a touch of bohemian charm to your life!
Macrame Knots You Need to Know to Make a Beautiful DIY Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament
Getting familiar with macrame knots is essential for mastering the art of Macrame. For this project, you will need to know the following knots:
The above knots are basic knots widely used in many macrame projects.
By learning popular knots like the overhand knot and the double half hitch knot, you'll have a solid foundation for creating a wide range of macrame projects, including a macrame Christmas wreath ornament with beads.
The Reverse Lark’s Head Knot is a fundamental mounting knot for various projects. As a mounting knot, it provides a reliable and secure attachment point for your macrame design to a dowel, ring, or other supporting structure. This knot lets you easily hang cords onto your macrame creation, providing a stable foundation for further knotting and design elements.
The Double Half Hitch Knot is fundamental and highly versatile in macrame. It is the building block for many intricate knot patterns, making it an essential technique for creating beautiful macrame designs.
The Gathering Knot is a wrapping knot, a finishing knot that gathers all cords together. Usually, you will see the gathering knot at the bottom of a macrame pattern.
The Overhand Knot is an essential everyday knot used to make a knob in a cord, string, or rope. It helps tie items together, or it can be tied on a single cord-end to prevent the ends from fraying.
Practice and repetition will help you become more confident in executing these knots, allowing you to explore more intricate patterns and designs.
I have compiled a FREE EBOOK guide, "50 Macrame Knots & Sennit Guide," that goes over step by step with pictures on how to make 50 different knots and sennits.
This guide will assist you in learning the knots and provide insights into creating unique knot sequences and pattern designs.
Benefits of a Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament
Let's talk about the Macramé Angel Christmas Ornament – more than just a decoration; it adds a handmade touch to your holiday decor. Hung on your tree, it brings a unique charm with its carefully crafted knots.
This ornament is more than eye-catching; it tells a story of creativity and tradition. Whether you're hosting a festive dinner or enjoying a cozy night, let this macramé angel be the standout piece that adds a touch of warmth and style to your holiday celebrations.
- Handcrafted Elegance: A macramé angel Christmas ornament adds a touch of handcrafted beauty to your holiday decor, infusing a sense of uniqueness and artistry.
- Personalized Touch: Create a one-of-a-kind ornament that reflects your personal style and preferences, making your Christmas tree or home decor truly special and memorable.
- Therapeutic Crafting: Engage in the meditative and calming process of macramé knotting, providing a therapeutic and enjoyable crafting experience that can be a delightful escape during the busy holiday season.
- Budget-Friendly Decor: DIY macramé ornaments are often cost-effective, allowing you to achieve a high-end, customized look for your Christmas decorations without breaking the bank.
- Gifts from the Heart: Handmade ornaments carry sentimental value, making them perfect gifts for friends and family. Give the gift of a macramé angel to spread holiday cheer and warmth.
- Skill Development: Learn and enhance your macramé skills through the creation of a Christmas angel ornament, gaining confidence in a popular and versatile crafting technique.
- Sustainable and Eco-Friendly: Utilize materials like natural cords and fibers for your macramé angel, contributing to a more sustainable and eco-friendly holiday by reducing reliance on mass-produced, less environmentally friendly decorations.
- Festive Atmosphere: The presence of a macramé angel in your holiday decor adds a festive and charming atmosphere, capturing the spirit of the season with its intricate design and symbolic representation.
- Family Bonding: Crafting macramé angel ornaments can be a delightful family activity, fostering creativity and togetherness as you work on a shared project during the holiday season.
- Long-Lasting Keepsake: Unlike store-bought ornaments, a well-made macramé angel can become a cherished keepsake, evoking memories of the joyous times spent crafting and celebrating the holidays.
As you delve into the world of macramé, not only do you enhance your crafting skills, but you also contribute to a more sustainable holiday by opting for eco-friendly materials. The sentimental value of a handmade macramé angel extends beyond its aesthetic appeal; it becomes a heartfelt gift and a lasting keepsake.
Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament Cords and Materials
You will need a 2mm macrame cord, a large bead and a wooden ring to make this macramé angel Christmas ornament.
Choosing the cord
The most crucial material is the cord. Macrame cords can be made from various materials such as cotton, jute, or nylon, each offering a different texture and appearance.
Choosing cords that is soft, sturdy, and suitable for your desired fringe boho bag is essential, ensuring durability and functionality.
We used 2mm single strand cord to make the macramé angel Christmas ornament in natural color from our Lush cord line which is a premium cord made from recycled fibers, perfect for all skill levels.
Here are the benefits of using our Lush Cord line:
- Our Lush cord line consists of premium quality cords that are OEKO-Tex certified and an eco-friendly variety of sizes, types, color offerings, and makes of cord to choose from.
- We love this cord line because of its unique features. From muted matte colors to shiny, swirly, or to sparkly, the Lush line will bring out the extra spark your project needs.
Other Macrame Tools & Supplies
You will need the following materials to make your Macramé Angel Christmas Ornament Cords.
You will also need some essential tools:
Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament
- 4” wide (10 cm) and 5.5” (14 cm) length
- 1 to 2 hours depending on skill level
Materials Needed (for 1 unit):
Cotton Lengths Needed:
- 1 x 50 cm (20”)
- 12 x 75 cm (30”)
- 1 x 40 cm (16”)
* Note: The cord lengths suggested here are based on the pattern using 2mm macrame cotton cord. Should you use a different size cord or cord from another brand, actual cord lengths may differ slightly and, therefore, should be adjusted accordingly.
Important Macrame Terms for Beginners
Here are some helpful macrame terms you should know when following this pattern:
- Knots: The Macrame involves various knots, such as the square knot, and the double half hitch knot. Understanding these basic knot patterns creates the foundation of Macrame. Refer to the "Macrame Knots You Will Need to Know" section for the knots used in this pattern
- Cords: Cords are the primary material used in Macrame. They are made of cotton, jute, nylon, or synthetic fibers. Macrame cords come in various thicknesses and colors.
- Fringe: Fringe refers to the loose ends of cords that hang down, adding a decorative element to beginner projects. The fringe can be left as is or trimmed to a desired length.
- Anchor cord: refers to the fixed cord or structure to which other cords are attached or knotted, providing stability and support to the design.
- Working cord: This is the cord that is actively used to create knots and patterns, manipulated and moved throughout the project to form the desired design.
Step-by-Step Pattern Instructions
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to make the Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament.
- Attach a 50 cm cord onto the ring with a Reverse Lark's Head knot and then thread the large hole bead through the cord ends.
- Bring the cord ends to the opposite side of the ring and secure the ends with two Double Half Hitch ("DHH") knots.
- Tie a large Overhand knot at the end of the cord-ends.
- Attach 2 x 75 cm cords onto the right side of the ring with Reverse Lark's Head knots.
- Make 2 consecutive rows of DHH knots to the right.
- Take the second cord from the left as an anchor cord for 2 DHH knots to the right then 2 DHH knots back to the left.
- Make 2 consecutive rows of DHH knots to the left.
- Add 2 more Leaf patterns on the right side.
- Make 3 Leaf patterns on the left-side.
- Comb through all vertical strands of cord.
- Weave the bottom 2 tassels on both sides through the back of the ring to the front.
- Gather the front and back tassels together and secure with a 40 cm cord as a working cord for a Gathering knot.
- Comb through the tassel and trim off excess cord ends.
Video Tutorial | Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament
Embrace the magic of your Macramé Angel Ornament—a festive masterpiece that adds a unique charm to your holiday decor.
Elevate your holiday ambiance with the Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament. Beyond a mere decoration, it's a unique work of art that brings a touch of celestial charm to your seasonal festivities. The intricate macramé patterns and delicate details seamlessly blend craftsmanship and holiday aesthetics, making it a standout addition to your decor.
Whether adorning your Christmas tree or serving as a thoughtful gift, this ornament will capture attention. It's more than a festive accessory; it symbolizes the artisan's dedication and creativity, with each knot reflecting their skill.
So, let this Macrame Angel Christmas Ornament enhance your festive spirit, spark admiration and curiosity, and take pride in possessing a one-of-a-kind piece of holiday art. This ornament encapsulates the magic, seasonal allure, and artistic uniqueness that sets your holiday decor apart from the ordinary.
Are you looking for more fun and simple DIY macrame patterns?
Looking to expand the macrame skills you've learned?
We got you covered with more macrame DIY projects you can make in the comfort of your own home.
I have numerous diverse DIY macrame patterns that you can explore, ranging from distinctive wall hangings for home decor to timeless plant hangers suitable for all skill levels.
The patterns come complete with step-by-step photos, written instructions, and helpful tips and tricks to assist you throughout your macrame journey.
How to Turn Knots into Exquisite Macrame Designs
Discover the art of macrame like never before!
Join our exclusive community of passionate macrame enthusiasts and unlock a world of creativity.
Gain access to a treasure trove of unique patterns, expert guidance, and a supportive network of fellow artists.
Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned knotter, our community is your gateway to mastering the art of macrame.
Elevate your skills, share your creations, and embark on a journey of inspiration together.
Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity.