Just picture turning a bunch of cords into a stunning Boho Bag with intricate fringes, where your creativity takes the lead, and each knot adds a touch of Bohemian style.
Whether you're a seasoned DIY enthusiast or a beginner in the world of handmade fashion, this guide will be your go-to resource for mastering macrame and crafting your own fabulous Boho Bag.
So, let your creativity flow as we embark on a journey to infuse your style with Bohemian charm, one knot at a time. Welcome to the world of Making a Gorgeous Macrame Fringe Boho Bag.
What is Macrame?
Macrame is a popular and beautiful form of craft that involves knotting various cords together to create decorative and functional items.
It's been around for centuries and has roots in various cultures, including Arabic, Chinese, and Indigenous American traditions.
The basic idea of macrame is to use different types of knots to create patterns and designs.
The knots are formed by crossing, looping, and tying cords in specific ways. You don't need any special tools or equipment—just some cords (usually made of cotton, jute, or other natural materials) and your hands!
There are several common knots used in macrame, including the Square Knot, the Double Half Hitch, and the Lark’s Head knot.
Combining these knots and varying their placement and direction allows you to create intricate and unique macrame designs.
Some popular items made with macrame include wall hangings, plant hangers, keychains, bracelets, and even clothing. You can experiment with different colors, textures, and cord thicknesses to add your personal touch to the creations.
Macrame is a fantastic way to unwind and be creative. It allows you to make personalized gifts for friends and family or decorate your living space with beautiful handmade pieces.
With practice and a bit of patience, you can easily learn the basic knots and start making your macrame projects. There are plenty of tutorials and resources available online to help you get started and inspire your creativity!
So, in a nutshell, macrame is a fun and relaxing craft that involves tying knots with cords to create lovely and artistic items. It's a great way to express yourself and add a touch of bohemian charm to your life!
Macrame Knots You Need to Know to Make a Gorgeous Macrame Fringe Boho Bag
Getting familiar with macrame knots is essential for mastering the art of Macrame. For this project, you will need to know the following knots:
- Rya Knot
The above knots are basic knots widely used in many macrame projects.
By learning popular knots like the overhand knot and the alternating overhand knot, you'll have a solid foundation for creating a wide range of macrame projects, including fringe boho bags.
The Lark's Head Knot is a fundamental mounting knot for various projects. As a mounting knot, it provides a reliable and secure attachment point for your macrame design to a dowel, ring, or other supporting structure. This knot lets you easily hang cords onto your macrame creation, providing a stable foundation for further knotting and design elements.
A Square knot is a common macrame knot formed by alternately crossing two cords over each other. It holds a significant role in macrame as an essential decorative knot. It is the foundation for numerous patterns and designs, independently and with other types of knots.
The Double Half Hitch Knot is fundamental and highly versatile in macrame. It is the building block for many intricate knot patterns, making it an essential technique for creating beautiful macrame designs.
The Rya Knot also known as the rya loop, is a fundamental weaving technique that produces a row of fringe within a woven piece. While its conventional use is to form fringe along the bottom edges of a weaving project, rya knots can also be incorporated into various sections part way through a project for textured/woven fringe.
Practice and repetition will help you become more confident in executing these knots, allowing you to explore more intricate patterns and designs.
I have compiled a FREE EBOOK guide, "50 Macrame Knots & Sennit Guide," that goes over step by step with pictures on how to make 50 different knots and sennits.
This guide will assist you in learning the knots and provide insights into creating unique knot sequences and pattern designs.
Benefits of a Macrame Fringe Boho Bag
A Macrame Fringe Boho Bag is more than just a trendy accessory; it's a practical choice for various situations. Wearing it frees up your hands, making it easier to carry your essentials.
Plus, its unique Boho design adds a touch of your personal style to any outfit. Whether you're going to the beach, a music festival, or just out and about, this bag is both fashionable and functional.
It's a reliable companion that keeps your belongings handy while enhancing your overall look. So, wear it with confidence and enjoy the convenience and style it brings to your day.
- Unique Style: These bags are known for their distinctive Bohemian style, which sets them apart from mass-produced bags. They allow you to express your individuality and fashion
- Handcrafted Artistry: Macrame Fringe Boho Bags are typically handmade, showcasing intricate knotwork and craftsmanship. This adds a touch of artistry and personality to your accessory.
- Customization: Since they are handmade, you often have the option to customize your bag in terms of color, size, and design. This means you can create a bag that perfectly suits your taste and needs.
- Eco-Friendly: Macrame bags are often made from natural and sustainable materials like cotton or jute, making them an eco-friendly choice compared to bags made from synthetic materials.
- Durability: Macrame bags are sturdy and durable, able to withstand daily use. The knotwork creates a robust structure that can carry your belongings securely.
- Versatility: These bags are versatile and can be used for various purposes – as a purse, a beach bag, a market tote, or even a stylish storage option for your home.
- Lightweight: Macrame bags are typically lightweight, making them comfortable to carry around for extended periods.
- Boho Aesthetic: If you love the Bohemian aesthetic, a Macrame Fringe Boho Bag is a perfect addition to your wardrobe. It complements the Boho style with its natural, earthy look.
- Conversation Starter: These unique bags often attract attention and become conversation starters, allowing you to share the story of your handcrafted accessory.
- DIY Potential: If you enjoy crafting, making your own Macrame Fringe Boho Bag can be a rewarding and creative project, adding a personal touch to your fashion.
Overall, a Macrame Fringe Boho Bag combines fashion, functionality, and sustainability, making it a stylish and conscious choice for those who appreciate handcrafted beauty and unique accessories.
Macrame Fringe Boho Bag Cords and Materials
Choosing the cord
The most crucial material is the cord. Macrame cords can be made from various materials such as cotton, jute, or nylon, each offering a different texture and appearance.
Choosing a cord that is soft, sturdy, and suitable for your desired fringe boho bag is essential, ensuring durability and functionality.
We used a 4mm single-strand cord in a natural color from our Foundation cord line which is a nice and sturdy cord that is perfect for all skill levels.
- Our Foundation cord line is made from 100% organic natural cotton
- The cords are unbleached and are a beautiful natural off-white color
- The Foundation cord is the ultimate cord for all skill levels due to its super soft texture and sturdy twist, capable of sustaining multiple re-knots
Other Supplies & Materials:
- You will need two 4.3” metal rings for the handle of your fringe boho bag.
Macrame Fringe Boho Bag Details
- 9.5” (25cm) wide and 7.5” (20cm) length for the macrame part only.
- 1 to 2 hours depending on skill level
Materials Needed (for 1 unit):
Cotton lengths needed:
- 48 x 170 cm (67")
- 2 x 45 cm (18")
- Bunch of smaller scraps at 12 - 15 cm long
* Note: The cord lengths suggested here are based on the pattern using a 4mm Single Strand Foundation Cord. Should you use a different size cord or cord from another brand, actual cord lengths may differ slightly and, therefore, should be adjusted accordingly.
Important Macrame Terms for Beginners
Here are some helpful macrame terms you should know when following this pattern:
- Knots: The Macrame involves various knots, such as the overhand knot, and alternating overhand knot. Understanding these basic knot patterns creates the foundation of Macrame. Refer to the "Macrame Knots You Will Need to Know" section for the knots used in this pattern.
- Cords: Cords are the primary material used in Macrame. They are made of cotton, jute, nylon, or synthetic fibers. Macrame cords come in various thicknesses and colors.
- Fringe: Refers to the loose ends of cords that hang down, adding a decorative element to beginner projects. The fringe can be left as is or trimmed to a desired length.
- Anchor cord: refers to the fixed cord or structure to which other cords are attached or knotted, providing stability and support to the design.
- Working cord: This is the cord that is actively used to create knots and patterns, manipulated and moved throughout the project to form the desired design.
Step-by-Step Pattern Instructions
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to make the Macrame Fringe Boho Bag:
- Attach 8 x 170cm cords onto one ring with Reverse Lark's Head knots.
- Make a row of Square knots. Then, make a row of Alternating Square knots underneath.
- Fold 2 x 170 cm cords in half and matching the loop ends together, make a Square knot.
- Then, attach it to the left-side of the bag with an Alternating Square knot.
- Repeat the same on the right side.
- Attach three more individual Square knots on the left and right sides.
- Make a v-shaped Square knot pattern until you reach 1 Square knot at the bottom.
- Take the second ring and repeat all of the previous steps
- Attach both sides by making one alternating Square knot. Then, make 2 Alternating Square knots underneath.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
- For the next row of alternating Square knots, leave 1cm of space between the previous row of Square knots.
- Start the new row of Square knots from the sides of the bag, and then make a row of diagonal Square knots to the front/back sides.
- Repeat the pattern two more times all around.
- Fill out the remaining sides of the pattern with Square knot rows.
- Flip the bag inside out and using the side-middle 8 cords on both sides as anchor cords, make a row of large Square knots at the bottom using 2 cords as 1 working cord group at a time.
- Use a 45 cm cord as an anchor cord for a row of DHH knots on one side. Then repeat the same on the other side.
- Take the anchor cords on both sides and make a DHH knot to seal it together.
- Cut off all excess cords at the bottom. Then, flip the bag back inside-out.
- From the scrap cords, use 2 x 12-15cm cords at a time to make Rya knots onto the 1cm space on all sides of the bag pattern.
- Trim the fringe.
Wrapping Macrame Bag With Fringe | Video Tutorial
Wrapping Up How to DIY Macrame Keychain Wristlet
Unveil the magic of this Macrame Fringe Boho Bag – where artistry and craft collide to create pure elegance!
Embrace the beauty of intricate artistry and bohemian charm with the Macrame Fringe Boho Bag. It's not just an accessory; it's a living work of art that adds a vibrant, three-dimensional touch to your style.
The combination of detailed macrame patterns and fringe design creates a captivating blend of craftsmanship and bohemian allure that's sure to catch the eye.
Whether you choose to hang it in your living room, or bedroom, or take it with you on your daily adventures, this bag will undoubtedly turn heads and pique curiosity.
It's more than just a fashion statement; it's a testament to the artisan's dedication and creativity, with each knot woven as an expression of their craftsmanship.
So, let this enchanting Macrame Fringe Boho Bag elevate your style, savor the compliments and inquiries it garners, and take pride in owning a unique piece of art.
This bag embodies positivity, a flair for fashion, and an artistic twist that sets you apart from the crowd.
Are you looking for more fun and simple DIY macrame patterns?
Looking for more handmade macrame keychain pattern to try?
I have numerous diverse DIY macrame patterns that you can explore, ranging from distinctive wall hangings for home decor to timeless plant hangers suitable for all skill levels.
The patterns come complete with step-by-step photos, written instructions, and helpful tips and tricks to assist you throughout your macrame journey.
Are you looking to advance your macrame skills, create elegant designs, and learn unique knot patterns?
Discover the art of Macrame like never before!
Join our exclusive community of passionate macrame enthusiasts and unlock a world of creativity.
Access a treasure trove of unique patterns, expert guidance, and a supportive network of fellow artists.
Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned knotter, our community is your gateway to mastering the art of Macrame.
Elevate your skills, share your creations, and embark on a journey of inspiration together.
Take advantage of this incredible opportunity.